Monday, July 2, 2012

On My Responsbility (and yours)

It really used to annoy  me when friends and family would insist that I would be a great advocate or voice for the disabled community, and that I should spend my life being that voice. I have one aunt in particular, who constantly mentioned that I should be a politician. It didn't matter  that she agreed with none my politics. I guess I became incensed because I felt like they were writing off my ability to build my life around something other than Cerebral Palsy. I have always been a big dreamer, and until recently, I could walk in all my day dreams. I have never been very quiet when dreams were challenged either. Over the last couple of months though, I have had to grow up a lot.

I still have no desire to enter the political world. It seems like an intriguing, but dark and twisted place. I still don't believe that it is in any way my responsibility to educate the masses on the peaks and valleys of life with mobility-aids. If you're ignorant enough to assume you know anything about me because of the way in which my disability forces me to navigate the earth, you are not my problem. I do have some responsibilities though, and I certainly would  not have them without my CP.  


The way I look at it, we are all in this life together:  If it is easier for some of us it is easier for all of us. With that logic,  the 5th grader who limps into class, wondering if she'll ever get the teachers to realize how smart she is, is my problem. The teenager sitting in a wheelchair wondering if a boy will ever kiss her  is my problem. The college freshman who wonders if she'll ever graduate, or even get into a house-party is, my problem. I have dealt with all of that, and answered those questions. Refusing to volunteer my experiences would be selfish.   If I can write or say something that will make somebody's day easier, I am improving the quality of our universe.  If I do not do that in some way, what in the hell am I here for? I can certainly speak to issues that have nothing to do with CP. The point is however, I can no longer leave my CP out, simply because it pisses me off that others expect me to talk about it. It's not about me-- not all of it. I have to build my life around the legacy I want to leave behind, and rather I like or not, part of that will be Cerebral Palsy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment