Sunday, April 15, 2012

On Assumptions about the Disabled


On one of my online classes, somebody asked me what the most annoying part of being disabled was. The worst part is, constantly having to rebuke assumptions. That inspired this post. I thought I’d bust ten of the most annoying myths out there by listing some should- be- obvious facts about those with disabilities.         

  • Unless we tell you we can’t hear you, we can hear you. I can’t count the number of times people have spoken to me like I have a hearing impairment. It really is embarrassing to have to explain to people that I don’t have one. Though over the years I've  found it funny more the anything.
  • Most of us are of average intelligence. There is no need to explain things one wouldn’t explain to an able-bodied 23 year old.
  •           We can have sex. We do have sex. When I get asked if I can, I usually answer politely, but I want to respond, “That’s none of your Goddamn business!”
  •     A lot of us have very successful careers. When people act in awe of that, it’s condescending.
  •        We’re not offended, when you swear, drink ,or make dirty jokes. I swear drink, and make dirty jokes.
  •        Most of us have extremely high pain tolerances. You can’t hurt me by bumping my leg.
  •       A lot of the people I know and I are thankful for the prospective being disabled gives us.
  •          We don’t need protecting. My friends defend me like I would defend them—it’s a beautiful thing. I don’t need strangers asking me if I’m okay every ten minutes.
  •          Disabled people might be shy or they may be outgoing, just like everyone else. I personally love to meet new people; my friends aren’t being mean if they don’t spend every second of a social event making sure I’m entertained.
  •           We just want what everyone wants. We strive to be happy. It’s not important to the majority of us to be an inspiration or a trailblazer.

2 comments:

  1. I see you did some blog decorating since I've last visited! Nice-- :)

    Regarding this post, WAY TO PUT IT OUT THERE! Those are obvious facts people should know already... (you're right) Minus the high pain tolerance one, I suppose some people with disabilities could have low pain tolerances, no? Meh- at least you have a high pain tolerance! Mine is very low. I'm a poor little baby. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I suppose many disabled do have low pain tolerances. I think though that they is a fear of "hurting" us out there. I have had people apologize profusely for touching my shoulder by accident. :)

    ReplyDelete