Wednesday, October 3, 2012

On an Age Old Question


It is a question those of us with Cerebral Palsy and other chronic conditions have all been asked at least a few times:  “If you could, would you cure your disability?”  I personally find this question a tad irritating. Curing my disability has never really been an option so it is not really something I consider often.  Regardless, I know people wonder what my answer is and I will use this post as an attempt to give you one.  This answer is complex, so bear with me.  
First, I want to emphasize that I am not miserable. I have other physical and psychological conditions that cause me much more strife than my Cerebral Palsy. I am so awesome at functioning with tight muscles, spastic hands and pitiful balance that I even surprise myself.  CP has not stopped from doing most things most twenty-three year-olds do, and I think it has even provided me with a few extra opportunities. My quality of life is very high.
Second, I want to say I am so blessed to feel as loved as I do every day. My disability has been the reason for my meeting several absolutely magnificent people and experiencing several unique occurrences.  Without those wonderful humans and happenings, there are a lot of unpleasant events I may not have made it through.  
   This is usually the part where a writer would answer their readers. The readers would ignore the sloppily composed disclaimers above and focus solely on this paragraph in which the writer tells the God’s honest truth. I ask you though, do not do that. I said those things first because they’re the most important. I would never want to erase all the goodness that my CP has brought to my life. I do however think that 23 years is enough time to struggle with ridiculous stereotypes, awkward falls, gawking onlookers, abnormal sexual experiences, unnecessary pain, and unintended loneliness.   Now, CP is brain damage so a cure would most likely mean a high-risk operation, one I would probably choose not to have. Most of us with disabilities have had our fill of intense surgery. Unlike a lot of my fellow CPers however, if I could pop a pill and be abled-bodied, I would. I’m not proud of my disability for reason that I did not already list.   I am glad to have lived with it because I think it helped me become more patient and less judgmental than I would have been without it, but I didn’t earn anything and it’s a nuisance.  Wouldn’t you want to get rid of a nuisance if you had a simple way to do so? I will most likely never get that chance though, and that’s fine. I am capable, loved and happy…. Eight days out of ten.     There are many people walking around, who cannot say that.  

2 comments:

  1. Great article cathleen. I agree with you. My CP has formed my personality and made me the kind, compassionate, easy-going person I am today. I dont judge people and I dont take anything for
    granted.

    But, Like you, if I could take an " abled-bodied" pill today, with me being the person I am now...I would. All of the good with none of the bad would be great!

    -Zeljko

    ReplyDelete