Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On a Medical Soapbox

I had an appointment today at Michigan Neurology.  I was dreading it this morning. I honestly hate all things medical, and over the past couple of years , I have not had very many positive experiences in doctors' offices. When I walked in, I was instantly reminded how immensely blessed I am. So many of the people around me seemed to be in horrible pain, or close to fatally ill. I joked with the receptionist, ("I'm baaaack and soooo original") while a woman behind my dad shook so hard she could barely sit down. Next to her was a man  so hunched over, you'd guess he's eighty at first glance. His face looked thirty.

My mom was a public school teacher for 35 years. As a result, she, my sister, dad and I always had great health insurance. Without it, I am not exaggerating, my parents and I would probably be dead and my sister may be blind. It makes me so sad that millions  of  citizens of the most fortunate country on earth, suffer or die because doctor's won't see them. Most of my friends know  my politics. I will not deny that while I know, respect, and love lots of conservative people, republican ideals and ideas, for the most part, do not make sense to me. This isn't about conservative versus liberal for me though. I am not even attempting to offer a solution to this problem. I would be moronic to claim to be educated enough to do so. I am asking: What if that woman was your mother and they turned her away, shaking and sick? What if your baby boy grows up, and becomes afflicted with the same condition as that man? Is it  acceptable to you that they will help him because they wanted more money? I know some readers truly believe, that this will never be a problem for their family because they instill good work ethic in their children. I get it. Having a well-paying job that you preform well, will probably decrease the chances of these situations arising. So, I pose another question. Imagine if your sister or brother, takes risks , screws up and loses your money and his or her own.  Does that mean your sibling deserves to die of a curable aliment? 

It is just devastating to me that as much as they were hurting, the man and woman I wrote about at the beginning of this post were actually lucky. At least they were deemed rich enough to help.  

2 comments:

  1. Cathleen- a great post. I agree with you and I think its great that you wrote about such an important issue!

    ReplyDelete