Friday, February 8, 2013

On Equalizers

This first paragraph deals with disability because I can fully develop this example. My apologies if my transition to the actual point  of this post is careless.

Occasionally, People with disabilities have thought processes that read like this:

I'm sick of looking different, and sick of feeling different. I'm sick of making jokes about the parts of my life that can be indescribably bizarre. I wish I didn't have to be so open with people about the flaws that I forced to wear on my sleeve. I wish one able-bodied person would say to me "I wish things weren't so hard for you." I'm sick of fatigue and knee-pain and weakness. I'm sick of feeling defensive every time someone tilts their head when they talk to me, and even more sick of people tilting their head out of misguided sympathy. I'm sick of feeling like I have to prove to people that I'm not stupid and I'm even more sick of feeling like it might be a waste; maybe I am what they think I am. 

Then one speaks to a friend, a coworker, or a significant other and realizes that while every experience is unique, no emotion is. Everyone who has lived with a disability,hidden their sexuality,  dealt with a broken heart, or the unbelievable pain of losing a loved one too soon, lost their life savings or never had a dime to their name; everyone who has been stigmatized for their mental illness, or prayed for a tumor to be benign or hoped for a spouse to wake up,has suffered. We have not all felt lonely, frightened and inadequate for the same reason, but we have all undoubtedly felt lonely, frightened, and inadequate.These feelings are often the cause everything bad: addiction, thievery,selfishness, adultery, hatred, and even death.  Unfortunately,  emotions (particularly  negative ones) are the only real equalizer in this imbalanced world.I think this might mean that the only way to overcome our pain and feel joy is to help others feel fulfilled in their lives.These aforementioned "equalizing emotions" have forced us all to play on the same team. Nobody wins if somebody feels like they're losing. The only way we can ensure that less of us commit crimes, struggle with addiction or hurt those by whom we are surrounded is to admit and embrace the truth. We are an us. We all have a vested interest in making sure our fellow men and women are happy. In fact, if we want our children to grow up a better place than we did, we have a duty to do everything we can to assist them in becoming so.  

1 comment:

  1. Great blog entry! Take a look at mine: http://katherinehaywardmylifewithcp.blogspot.com.es
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete